For inquiries about
the Toronto Institute for
program please contact the registrar at email@example.com
Our mailing address is:
1046 - 7 B Pleasant Boulevard
Toronto, ON M4T 1K2
Classes are located at:
918 Bathurst Street
Toronto, ON M5R 3G5
For inquiries about the
The Toronto Institute for Relational Psychotherapy is a Recognized Education and Training Program
with the College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario (CRPO).
What is Relational Psychotherapy?
Relational psychotherapy is a powerful, effective model for working with individuals who
suffer from chronic emotional, psychological, and/or relational distress. Learn more.
The class beginning September 2015 is now full. The application deadline for the Sept 2016 class is April 15, 2016.
Interviews for the Sept 2016 class will be held on May 27, 2016.
The Toronto Institute for Relational Psychotherapy (TIRP) offers a comprehensive training program in the theory and practice of relational psychotherapy. Training takes place in Tuesday evening interactive learning groups, September - April, and in two residential weekends per year. Each year's group moves through three years of intensive training together.
Components of training
- Group process that emphasizes authenticity and empathy
- Theory readings, with connections made to students' personal and professional experience
- Supervised practice therapy in a supportive learning group
- Supervised work with clients starting in year two
- Case presentations in a supportive learning group starting in year three
All aspects of training aim to help students develop their own best personal integration of self, theory, and practice.
Advantages of training at TIRP
Choosing to train at TIRP is a wise choice because the program is:
- Professionally sound. Program requirements are aligned with requirements for clinical membership in the Ontario Society of Psychotherapists. The TIRP training program will be designed to develop the competencies listed by the College of Registered Psychotherapists and Registered Mental Health Therapists of Ontario within the Competency Profile for Registered Psychotherapist
- Academically sound. TIRP's synthesis of relational psychotherapy theories provides a solid foundation for general practice and further specialization.
- Progressive. Training is embedded in an awareness of social power and diversity, and of how social context constructs self-experience.
- Practical. From year one, theory, experience, and practice are integrated in training sessions; by year three, a student is developing a supervised private practice.
- Intensive. Training is experiential in small groups.
- Manageable part-time. All course work, supervision, and client work can be scheduled for evenings and weekends.
- Affordable. The cost per year is $3900 for tuition and fees, plus $110 per hour for supervision.
- Personally rewarding. As members of a community committed to diversity and to respectful mutual interaction, students enjoy enhanced personal and professional self- esteem and the beginnings of long-lasting bonds of friendship and collegiality.
© Toronto Institute for Relational Therapy 2007-2016. All rights reserved.